Thursday, December 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies (...because they're so SOFT!)

So today my sweet tooth weakness was like a thorn in my flesh. After downing more fun size candies than I'd like to admit (which, by the way, who decided that only one bite of chocolate was fun?!),  I decided to make a healthier treat satisfy my craving. 

I remembered that a few months ago a friend introduced me to a new kind of peanut butter cookies.  I was pretty pleased with the simplicity of the ingredients! Here is the original recipe: 

     ~ 1 cup peanut butter 
     ~ 1 cup sugar
     ~ 1 egg
     ~ 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

     Mix, roll, and smash! Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes.

Now, when I make cookies, I replace the sugar with another sweetener (usually honey, but recipes typically only require half as much honey as sugar). And I wanted to add some fruit (banana). And when I finished mixing, the batter looked like it could use some thickening, so I added oats. 

Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies
Here is my new and improved recipe! (Disclaimer: all amounts are approximate! This recipe is hard to mess up, so use your own judgement as to whether it "looks right"!)

     ~ 3/4 cup natural peanut butter (the only ingredient is... well, peanuts, of course!)
     ~ 1/4 cup mashed banana
     ~ 1 egg
     ~ 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
     ~ a few handfuls of oats (as many as you like in your cookies!)
     ~ cinnamon to sprinkle on top, if you desire!

Mix, roll, and smash! Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown on bottom (mine took a little longer).

Mmm... a few cookies later, my sweet tooth was satisfied (for an hour or two, at least!).

Let me know what you think and if you can modify it any more to add the health benefits! (I think chocolate chips (or, better yet, raw cacao nibs) would be spectacular!)

Eat and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel ate about 15 of these that first day she made them! She did save one for me however. The sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I meant to add a little honey (1/4 or so) to the recipe!

    ReplyDelete