Monday, September 22, 2014

Better Saved Than Sorry


"Better safe than sorry."

We've all heard (and probably said) those words on numerous occasions. 

I am a mom, and I am an extremely cautious, worst-case-scenario person in general, so I strongly and regularly encourage safety at our home. 

"Don't walk outside without your shoes on - you might step on something!"

"Be careful standing on that chair - I'm afraid you might fall!" 

"Wash your hands before you touch anything else. Who knows what kind of germs were on that shopping cart!"

"I know you are 3 and a half, but it is infinitely safer for your car seat to still be rear-facing!" 

"Don't jump down the steps - you might break your foot!" (I was too late for that one - she's now wearing an orthopedic boot to treat a hairline fracture in her foot.) 

When my daughter asks me why she can't do something, often my response is a variation of, "it's not safe." 

And that's my job, isn't it? To keep my children safe? 

Lately, I've been feeling uncomfortable when I respond in that manner... because it seems I believe that the ultimate goal in life is to be safe.

But Jesus never promised safety for his followers. In fact, he promised persecution and problems. He promised troubles and tribulations. He promised difficulties and disasters. But he never promised safety. 

So why does it appear that is safety my ultimate goal? It is wonderfully overwhelming to be responsible for the lives of little people, especially ones who don't realize that those toy pieces that look incredibly delicious could block their airways, or that running into the street to see the puppy could result in being struck by a vehicle. 

As their mother, I am responsible for their lives, as I should be. I am expected to teach them right vs wrong, safety vs danger, hot vs cold, and all those other opposite words that could make or break their little lives and hearts. And I take this responsibility very seriously.  

As I write this, there is a lot of persecution of Christians occurring in Iraq by ISIS. I am quite sensitive to violence and try hard not to read anything "scary" (I can't even stand to watch a lot of children's movies because they're too intense!) so I had not been following the situation, save a few little unavoidable photos and blurbs I saw on Facebook. However, last week I had a dream that ISIS was coming to my house. To get me. And my family. And it really opened my eyes, that I need to be intervening in prayer (and financially) on behalf of my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

It also made me question how far I would take this goal of "safety." Would I do everything I could to save our lives, even if it means denying Jesus?  Or if it came down to it, would I wholeheartedly follow the words of the song I have sang so many times before: 

I have decided to follow Jesus...
no turning back. 
Though none go with me, I still will follow...
no turning back. 

That's a challenge for all of us. I pray that Jesus returns before we have to face that dilemma. But it is something to seriously think about. Is safety, this menial life, worth more than living forever with God and Jesus in God's Kingdom? This life just pales in comparison. 

I am not saying that moms should abdicate their responsibility to teach their children safe practices. We absolutely should teach our children how to live well and be healthy - God has entrusted our children to us and expects us to raise them with care. Nor am I saying that as Christians we should seek to be on the front lines and mock ISIS to come after us, sealing our fate. I believe sometimes God gives a way out so everyone does not become a martyr. However, I am challenging myself and others to examine our highest priorities.

Instead of raising a bunch of safe kids, we should focus on raising saved kids. 

We should focus on raising disciples, warriors for Jesus, who aren't afraid to do battle for God. We need to be parenting intentionally to raise up children who are bold for Jesus, who serve God with their whole hearts. And while we cannot force our children to accept and follow Jesus, we can create a God-centered home environment that encourages them in faith - praying together for the needs of family, friends, and believers around the world; reading the Bible together and actually doing what it says; serving together; and living and loving like Jesus in all that we do, both inside and outside the four walls of our cozy houses. 

I pray that Christians will rise up and live for Jesus with our whole hearts, raising their families to do the same. And I pray that, at the end of our lives, we will live up to and die by the words of 2 Timothy 4:7: "I have fought the good fight; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith." 

After all, better saved than sorry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment